Wednesday 16 March 2016
Location: Siobhan Davies Dance Studios, London SE1 6ER
Tavaziva’s Artist Development Day will include two sessions; safer dance practice in a teaching setting, and how to create and deliver workshops around a touring production.
Booking essential, please email Kathleen.Murphy@tavazivadance.com to reserve your place.
Suitable for professionals or dancers in post-graduate training.
9am-12pm: Erin Sanchez, One Dance UK
This session will provide an introduction to key aspects of dance medicine and science in practice. During the session, we will cover:
- Adaptation and safe practice for teaching adolescents, children, and elderly populations
- Best practice regarding physiological and psychological aspects of dance participation (including key information on environment, sequencing and progression of movements, warm up and cool down and rest)
- An overview of common dance injuries, injury care specific to dance and return to dance after injury.
- Dance UK’s information sheet about First Aid for Dance will also be reviewed and discussed.
1pm-4pm: Jeanefer Jean-Charles
Jeanefer Jean-Charles is a Choreographer, Mass Movement Director and Creative Consultant with over 30 years’ experience of devising, creating, facilitating and directing dance and movement for performance. This session will explore how to create and deliver both one-off workshops and intensive workshop residencies.
Using Tavaziva’s production Africarmen as a starting point it will explore:
- How to structure workshops to reflect a company’s work.
- How to approach the themes and issues in a production, making them accessible and adaptable for different workshop groups.
- Working with participants with different levels of dance experience and mixed abilities